Thursday, January 29, 2009

Rhetoric

I found Obama's inaugural address to be OK, but certainly not on the level of others such as John F. Kennedy's of 1960. I felt that as for the speaking of the address is was good. however the composition of it was not. I do like how he referenced the need for continuing responsibility, but he made no mention of personal responsibility. A major loss in my opinion. My other concern with the inauguration is the benediction given by the Reverend Lowery. Although the article glosses over his benediction his closing prayer included "when white will embrace what is right." If we had not already accepted this then how would Barack be the President? I find the current trend of double standards in this country to be worrying. I thought that in 'post-racial' America we would be beyond taking cheap shots at each other while giving speeches. I am disappointed that Obama allowed this to happen.

Sources:
http://www.bartleby.com/124/pres56.html
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h4SrWpZNd-yocKSO7_9FO51iLJowD95R4RTG0

No comments: